Use these talking points when you don’t know the answer, can’t answer, or aren’t the best source of information.
- Give the reason why you can’t answer the question
- Tell them when you will follow up with them
- Bridge to what you can say
- Make sure you follow up (even if you don’t have any new information)
- Repeat the question (optional)
- Let me confirm/double-check and follow up with you.
- Let me look into it and get back to you.
- We’re still looking into it…
- I expect to be able to tell you more by…
- What I can tell you is…
- I’m not sure, but I’ll find out and let you know.
- I’ll find out.
- I’ll look into it and get back to you with what I find.
- That’s a good question, and I want to get you the right information. Let me get back to you by end-of-day.
- I don’t want to speculate…
- I’m not the best person to answer that <Name> would be a better resource, but… my understanding is…
- Before I answer, can I get a bit more details/context?
- Let me see if I can’t find some more information on that. Thanks for asking!
- Good question. Let me get back to you.
A Big List of “I Don’t Know”s
|Do I look like a professor to you?||Let me Google that for you 🙄|
|Haven’t the foggiest||Haven’t got a clue|
|Beats me.||Don’t ask me!|
|Excuse my ignorance.||Google it!|
|Heaven knows.||How should I know?|
|Huh?||I am not the best person to answer that.|
|I can find out for you.||I can only guess.|
|I can tell you, but I’ll have to kill you.||I can’t remember off the top of my head. I’ll get back to you on that.|
|I can’t remember.||I cannot even begin to imagine.|
|I do not rightly know.||I don’t have a conclusion yet, but here’s my hypothesis.|
|I don’t have that information here right now.||I don’t know anything about…|
|I dunno.||I have no clue/idea.|
|I have the same question in mind.||I haven’t been able to figure that out.|
|I haven’t got the faintest idea.||I haven’t had time to think that through yet.|
|I haven’t looked at that yet.||I haven’t/ haven’t got a clue.|
|I only know rumors.||I want to be sure and give you the correct information. Let me check.|
|I wish I knew.||I’m just as confused as you are.|
|I’ll double-check and let you know.||I’ll find out and let you know.|
|I’ll find out.||I’ll get back to you on that one.|
|I’ll know as soon as I figure it out.||I’m afraid I don’t know.|
|I’m afraid. I have no idea||I’m going to investigate that further.|
|I’m nervous about being wrong.||I’m not 100% sure on that.|
|I’m not sure / unsure.||I’m probably not the best person to ask for that information.|
|I’m too young to answer that.||I’m unsure.|
|I’ve been wondering the same thing!||I’ve not the faintest idea.|
|It could be one of many possibilities, I’ll look into it.||It is all Greek to me.|
|It’s a mystery to me.||It’s beyond me.|
|Let me check on that.||Let me find out for you.|
|Let me look that up for you.||Let’s find out the answer.|
|Let’s have a quick brainstorm.||Let’s learn about that together.|
|May I ask a friend?||Not as far as I know.|
|Only god knows.||Only time will tell.|
|Search me.||That requires a bit more research first.|
|That’s baffling!||That’s a mystery!|
|That’s a really good question, I’ll check/ find out.||That’s a timely question!|
|That’s exactly what I’m seeking to answer.||That’s good question, but I don’t know.|
|That’s good question, I’ll check this.||That’s not my area of expertise, I’ll ask …..|
|That’s something I want you to find out for yourself!||The answer eludes me.|
|There are several possible answers, I’ll need more information first.||We’ll find out soon enough.|
|What do you suggest?||What do you think?|
|Who knows?||Would you please repeat the question?|