- 😡 How to talk to an angry customer or client
- How to apologize for a damaged product
- 🔔 How to follow up with a customer who gave you a low survey score or bad review
- Start with 😡 How to talk to an angry customer or client
- If speaking with the customer on the phone, let them express their feelings/frustration first. Listen and acknowledge their concerns, then share how you plan on fixing it.
- Dear <Name>, I’m sorry to hear that you had a poor experience with us recently.
- We take pride in our high standards of service and we know that we did not meet your– or our own– expectations.
- We understand how frustrating this can be and we want to make it right. Because we want to make sure something like this doesn’t happen again, we’ve <provide high-level detail to show that you’ve taken steps to safeguard their future experiences>.
- We’ve launched an investigation into the incident.
- We spoke with the team involved to ensure this doesn’t happen again.
- We’re updating our processes/platform/app.
- As a small gesture of our gratitude for your patience and understanding, please accept <a bottle of wine, a gift basket>.
😔Big List of Apologetic Statements
|So I can understand the full extent of the issue/problem, could you please tell me a little more?||Listen to Understand|
|I want to make sure that I really have an understanding of what you’re telling me. I’m hearing that…||Listen to Understand|
|Thank you for alerting us to [ISSUE]. I recognize that this can’t have been an easy thing to deal with and I’m so sorry that this caused you to feel [insert expressed emotion].||Acknowledge Concern|
|I’m sorry, I can see how [ISSUE] must have been frustrating for you.||Acknowledge Concern|
|I’m very sorry, I appreciate how difficult it must have been for you to deal with.||Acknowledge Concern|
|If I were in your situation, I would feel the same.||Acknowledge Concern|
|I’m sorry to hear that||Express Regret|
|We take pride in our high standards of service and we know that we did not meet your – or our own – expectations.||Acknowledge Concern|
|Please allow me to apologize for your experience||Express Regret|
|Thank you for giving us the opportunity to make this right.||Thank Them for Feedback/Patience|
|I appreciate you bringing this to our attention, so that we can deal with this immediately.||Thank Them for Feedback/Patience|
|I would feel the same in your situation, but we will sort this out…||Acknowledge Concern Offer Reassurance|
|We deeply value your relationship, and we are committed to providing you with the highest level of service. Thank you in advance for your understanding and patience.||Thank Them for Feedback/Patience|
|Please know that we are doing everything in our power to make it right.||Offer Reassurance|
|We understand how frustrating this can be and please know we’re doing everything we can to make it right.||Acknowledge Concern Offer Reassurance|
|You were absolutely right to bring this to my attention, so I can [insert action]||Offer Reassurance|
|I will try everything I can to resolve this by [date]||Offer Reassurance|
|As I look into this, I will [insert action]…||Tell Them How You Will Fix it|
|What I’m doing now to help you is [insert action]||Tell Them How You Will Fix it|
|What I’m currently doing to help you is…||Tell Them How You Will Fix it|
|This situation is difficult, but one solution that we could try is [insert solution]||Tell Them How You Will Fix it|
|Now that I’m aware of the situation, we can look to fix it by [insert solution]||Tell Them How You Will Fix it|
|If I were in your situation, I would feel the same. What I would try, and I suggest that we do too, is to [insert solution]||Tell Them How You Will Fix it|
|I will contact you as soon as I have an update||Tell Them How You Will Fix it|
|I will work on resolving the problem and will be in touch by [date]||Tell Them How You Will Fix it|
|I’m sorry that you’ve had this issue, but we have managed to [insert solution]. Now we have done that, our next steps are [insert next steps]||Tell Them How You Will Fix it Express Regret|
|We recognize that this is not ideal, and we ask for your continued patience throughout this process.||Thank Them for Feedback/Patience Acknowledge Concern|